20 Nov 2015

2016 Dutch Latte Art - The Finalists - Wouter Andeweg

Early 2016 seven gifted latte art pouring baristas will fight for the ticket to Shanghai, where the World Championship will take place. Who are the baristas that want to represent the Netherlands? Let's get to know them a little better...Who is Wouter Andeweg?

Photo from the SCAE Nederland Facebook album. Shot by Thari Parson


Where can people find you?

I work for Bocca Coffee Roasters and BorgmanBorgman.

What figures did you pour for the qualifying rounds?
I wanted to make two abstract figures, because I think latte art can be beautiful in and of itself. So I made an 3-2-1 tulip with an inverted heart in between. My second figure was an inverted tulip with stripes in between.

How did you prepare?

Practicing everything over and over again. I really have to thank my two coaches Belle Montanus and Vincent Zwaan. The taught me a lot of tricks about the competition. And how to stay sexy all the time.

Who inspires you when deciding what figures to pour?

I’m a big fan of the Instagram feed of latte art cowboy Ben Morrow. Its nice to see that there is still some much ways of pouring to explore. It’s inspiring to create things instead of copying.

How long does it take to learn a new figure?

It depends on the figure ofcourse, but making a lot of cappuccino’s on a busy Saturday is the best way I think!

And how do you master a new figure?

In my case I really like to put excising figures together to create a new one. So it’s just creating, and then a lot of practice.

How are you going to make sure you win the National competition?

Filling even more evenings with pouring milk and pushing my skills to a next level.

If you could change the Latte Art Championship format, what would you change?

There are actually two things. I think we should think more about the presentation. Why not tell the judges why you chose the figures? I also think we should give more attention to pouring instead of etching, but that might be a personal thing.


Anything you would like to add?

I would like to thank the BorgmanBorgman team in Leiden and the Bocca team in Amsterdam. Without all their support; in coffee, milk, machines but also mentally, I wouldn’t be in the finals. I was actually pushing everyone to compete, and then someone asked me ‘why don’t you do it yourself’? Thanks for that!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...